Ram Nath Kovind has been elected India’s fourteenth President. He is second Dalit President of India and he practised as a lawyer for 16 years in Delhi High Court and Supreme Court. Here are some interesting facts about him that we all should know.
Ram Nath Kovind
- He completed his graduation from Kanpur university in Law.
- He cleared IAS exam in third attempt but did not join the civil services.
- He was Central Government Advocate in the Delhi High Court and served as a Central Government standing counsel in the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India
- In 1978, he became an advocate-on-record of the Supreme Court of India.
- As an advocate he provided free legal aid to weaker sections of society, women and the poor under the Free Legal Aid Society in New Delhi.
- He also served as the personal assistant of Prime Minister of India Morarji Desai in 1977-1978.
- He joined the BJP in 1991. He was elected Rajya Sabha MP from the state of Uttar Pradesh in April 1994.
- He also served as the chairman of the Rajya Sabha House Committee. During his career as a parliamentarian, he focused on education in rural areas by helping in construction of school buildings in Uttar Pradesh and Uttrakhand.
- In August 2015, the was appointed the Governor of Bihar.
- He served as a member of the Board of Management of Dr. B.R Ambedkar University, Lucknow. He was also a member of the Board of Governors of Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata.